Saturday, September 29, 2012

End of the Trail

Today was the last day of my ride.

We stopped at the Calumet Inn again for breakfast. Our server was also one of the new (as of 30 days ago) owners. She was a frighteningly energetic young woman who had spent a year backpacking around the world. Taking on a historic hotel and restaurant seems a risky business venture but, if youth, energy, and enthusiasm count for anything she might just make a go of it.

Our route was predominantly south, into the teeth of the wind.

Just north of Luverne (where we had lunch) we stopped at a tiny wayside chapel built in 1963 by the Luverne Christian Reformed Church. Inside were pews to seat 6 people, racks full of devotional literature, and Gideon's Bibles for the taking. We signed the guest book.

Crossing into Iowa made the seventh state of this trip.

When we rode into Rock Rapids from the north we found a lovely city park with a designated campground. It's almost too bad we aren't staying there.

Almost.

BJ's wife Pam came to spend the night with BJ. I will ride back to Illinois with her tomorrow. I have a room to myself at the Four Seasons, Rock Rapids' only motel. The dark, quiet, and solitude are unfamiliar.

There is no longer a laundromat in Rock Rapids, but the motel owner did our laundry for a reasonable fee. So I have fresh clothes to wear home.

When I checked in the owner asked if I wanted a queen-size bed or, for ten dollars more, a king. I have been sleeping on an 18 inch wide self-inflating mattress for more than a month. A queen was just fine.

Although I didn't ride all the way home I have no regrets. I have traveled more than 1900 miles under my own power on a bicycle I assembled with my own two hands and tools. It has been a great adventure.

I have a few more posts in mind before I finish this blog. If you would like to follow BJ's progress you can find him on FaceBook as Bernard Fenwick.

Today's milage: 47. Trip total: 1932.

3 comments:

  1. As a person of Iowa, allow me to extend my personal "Welcome".

    I of course look forward to having you back in Illinois. May the final leg of your journey be quick and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and all that other sentimental stuff. :)
    No seriously, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both!

    I should see you both on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete