Sunday, September 30, 2012

Untold Stories

ONE

Barreling down the last descent before a steep climb into Cut Bank, BJ was making 44 mph. I was working the brakes and holding my speed at 40. A passing pickup truck blew its horn, a couple of short toots, not aggressive, not unfriendly. The driver made a gesture I didn't recognize. His hand at 90 degrees from his wrist, fingers toward the temple of his head, he wagged his hand back and forward. Thinking about it later, I decided it must be a Native American sign that means "crazy."

At least I hope that's what it means.


TWO

We stopped for lunch one day at a bar. The meat loaf special was actually quite good. When we were getting ready to leave I went into the men's room. It was a small men's room. There was essentially space for one person.

Almost immediately the door opened behind me. A deep voice said, "Hey, buddy."

I was startled. An adrenaline rush hit me. The old fight-or-flight reaction kicked in and there was no place to fly to. I turned around fast.

There blocking the doorway was a big guy with a goatee. He looked like the offspring of the union of a linebacker and a brick outhouse.

For a second I thought I heard banjos.

"I think you dropped these," he said holding my arm warmers out toward me.

"Thanks," I said. "Thanks a million. I appreciate that."


THREE

As I walked into a cafe for breakfast one morning, a local man greeted me.

"Good morning," he said cheerfully.

"How are you?" I asked.

"Best day of my life!" He sounded as if he meant it.

"Really?" I asked.

"Every day," he replied.


6 comments:

  1. Homeward bound with Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. buddy looks happy to be sitting on a warm dashboard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed your blog. Nice trip;. Sure wish I was with you guys, but I can't, so I just follow your blogs. Great adventure. Now you have to get back to work.
    Thanks, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can untold stories be untold if they're told?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that man's attitude ("Best day of my life -- every day") is something to aspire to, or to be inspired by, for those of us who grumble with no real reason. There are days when those things can't be said, but many when they aren't, but should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have enjoyed your blog and sorry to see it come to an end. I am glad that your congregation, wife, and other family members gave their blessing so you could take this trip. What great memories for you and for the rest of us to read what your wrote each day.

    ReplyDelete