Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My Pedal-Driven Pack Mule

Because some have asked...

< oldcodger > I built this bicycle back in ought-four. < /oldcodger > The frame is a Nashbar aluminum touring frame with a steel fork. Made in China, it is sturdy. The welds are goopy and unfinished. Though it sports braze-ons for fenders, there really isn't sufficient clearance for them. The third water bottle mount, under the down tube, will only take a short water bottle and, at that I position it carefully to keep the bottle from rubbing the fromt tire. The racks, front and rear, mate firmly.

My saddle is a Brooks B-17, a heavy piece of leather stretched over a steel frame. It's a classic design and provides a firm perch for pedaling. It is more comfortable than it looks. The leather both provides a certain amount of give and, with use, conforms itself to the rider's anatomy. The impression of my sit-bones is clearly visible in the saddle.

The drivetrain is Shimano LX 9 speed with a triple up front. The shifters are Dura-Ace (the only bar-end shifters available at the time. Someone suggested that hanging top end components on a cheap frame was like "polishing the proverbial turd." I've come to think of the bike as "The Polished Turd."

Linear pull V- brakes provide plenty of stoppage.

I'm running Louis Garneau panniers up front and a set of Axioms in the back. A handlebar bag carries my most valuable items. It pops on and off easily. I keep it close at all times. Occasionally I will say to BJ,"Watch my purse, Beej."

Tent, sleeping bag, and mattress go on the rear rack. Buddy rides shotgun on top. Everything else goes in the panniers.

The wheels are heavy and have lots of spokes. Tires are 700 x 35. All in all, it's proven to be a road-worthy rig.

Melanie tells me that I should mention that I took a header on this bike and broke my collar bone. I maintain that the accident had more to do with a too-short stem and operator error than any flaw in the frame's design. The stem has been replaced with a Ritchey adjustable stem that gives me both decent reach and height.

2 comments:

  1. Okay. Very weird. You used the phrase "pedal-driven pack mules" two days before I used the exact same phrase, wihtout having seen this. You're screwing with me somehow, aren't you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason Blogger dates a post according to when it is written, not when it is publised. I changed the title on this post according to your apt phrase.

    ReplyDelete