Friday, September 28, 2012

TXT MSGS

Melanie and I have been in daily contact during this ride. Among other things we have exchanged text messages about three times a day.

One morning when it was particularly cold she commented on the weather. I replied that it wasn't a great concern.

"We have warm clothes."

She texted back, "You are intrepid."

Intrepid is not a word I would ever have applied to myself but if it means that I have gotten up every day and pedaled my bike down the road regardless of the temperature or terrain, then I will accept it.

One Sunday evening I texted that I was sitting on the steps of a public library taking advantage of the unsecured Wi-Fi network inside.

Melanie texted, "You are resourceful."

I'll take resourceful. When I left on this trip I figured that BJ and I had the resourcefulness to deal with whatever might arise.

Resourceful and intrepid. I guess those are good qualities to have if you want to do a self-contained bicycle tour.

And, oh yeah, my mom says I'm cool, too.

5 comments:

  1. "intrepid" = "not-shivering" in Latin. A good choice of words, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intrepid may not be quite the right word then. I was shivering. Maybe "uncomplaining" would be more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give you the other two, but cool? Lets not get carried away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll give you the other two, but cool? Lets not get carried away.

    ReplyDelete