Friday, September 14, 2012

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

Last night, in our mosquito-infested campground, as the sun was going down, I put a fresh tire on my front wheel. This morning, in the cold light of day, I inspected the old tire. The rubber was a bit thin in spots. It is good to have fresh skins on both wheels and a spare in the boot.

The map showed what looked like a good detour. A mile or so out of Malta, old Rte. 2 went a little south past the Bowdoin National Wildlife Refuge. It would get us off the highway for 20 miles or so and might show us some scenery.

Five miles down that road the pavement ran out. For the next twelve miles we struggled to pick a line through dirt, rocks, sand, and stutter bumps. There were a few patches of old asphalt remaining that provided too-short relief. We came to the one intersection shown on the map. Ahead, a sign said "Road Closed." We turned left and took more gravel road back to Rte. 2.

Let's just say it was dumb.

On the plus side we did see a beaver swimming in the marsh beside the road.

A half mile from that intersection we stopped to see the Sleeping Buffalo Rock, sacred to Native Americans. The rock is surrounded by a wooden fence to which many pieces of cloth and bundles of herbs are tied.

Shortly after we stopped a full size pickup of no recent vintage pulled in. There was a border collie in the bed. The driver wore an official looking patch of some kind on his sleeve. He watched us for a while before he shut off the engine. He stayed in the truck and continued to watch until I threw my leg over the top tube to get started down the road again. Then he started the truck up. He passed us a short time later.

I'm thinking he was one of those to whom the rock is sacred. I'm thinking that he was watching to be sure we did nothing to desecrate it. We wouldn't, of course, but he didn't know that.

I can't blame him.

Out here on the road, we lose track of the news. Mostly, that's OK. I don't miss the political ads and mudslinging. I was surprised, though, when we stopped for lunch at Saco. A TV in the cafe showed the ceremony honoring the Americans killed in the attack on the Libyan embassy.

I didn't know.

The news is sad and frightening. This troubled world needs peacemakers and prayers. God help us.

We have made camp for the night in the city park at Hinsdale, a pleasant little community with a good ice cream parlor called Sweet Memories where I am currently drinking coffee, charging my electronics, and using the Wi-Fi. Camp has pit toilets and water from a spigot. It will do nicely, I think.

Today we made 43.5 miles or so. That makes a trip total of 1028.5 miles.

Sleeping Buffalo Rock

2 comments:

  1. The new "Old Main" at Augustana should be at least as well appointed, I'd think We miss you here. Listening by chance to a version of the Carter family's "Keep on the suuny side...".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you guys but being from Dixon, like to ride bicycles, and love traveling out West, makes following you guys interesting.

    ReplyDelete