Friday, September 28, 2012

Minnesota Nice

This morning we had breakfast at the Midway Cafe in Canby. Our server, Sherri, apologized for the cook. Not his cooking (which was excellent) but his happy whistling in the kitchen.

"He whistles all the time but he owns the place."

"So you can't say anything," I added.

"Well, we have church in here once a week and I shush him during the sermon."

When I went to wash my hands, the cook came out and gave BJ a foil packet with two slices of freshly baked herb bread "for later."

"If you don't tell your friend you won't have to share."

The cook/owner told BJ that he was stationed at San Diego when he was in the Marines.

"I used to ride my bike all the time to San Francisco and L.A."

He envied us our adventure.

When BJ went to wash his hands, the cook came to the table again and gave me a foil packet with a slice of freshly baked sour cream-cinnamon coffee cake.

"This is in case you friend doesn't share," he said.

When we got to camp this evening we both shared and the baked goods were delicious.

We rode a hard 60 miles today against the wind and were glad to put the tent up at the Pipestone RV Camp, a pleasant campground in Pipestone, MN. We rode down into the Pipestone National Monument before dinner at the Calumet Inn in historic downtown Pipestone.

Trip total: 1885 miles.



3 Maidens at Pipestone National  Monument

Downtown Pipestone

1 comment:

  1. We camped at Pipestone N.M. once on a trip out west -- I remember it being beautiful, and I think there were buffalo there too.

    Is it coincidence, or is there a theme of increasing society and civility as one comes closer to the midvest?

    ReplyDelete