Monday, September 3, 2012

Macho, Macho Man

I saw myself in a mirror. In my safety orange jersey and hi-viz yellow vest, with five weeks left on a six week haircut, still rocking that 70s moustache, and swaddled in bike shorts...

I kind of looked like one of the Village People.

It took us 5 days to cross the smallest state west of the Mississippi. Yesterday's wheat fields gave way to evergreen forests. Mountains loom ominously ahead.

We stopped for breakfast in Spokane, but it took so long that it turned into brunch.

The last city in Washington is Newport. It has bicycle lanes. Curiously, they are marked with the image of a guy wearing a chef's hat.

We are staying the night at Pioneer Park National Forest Campground near Old Town, Idaho. It's a beautiful wooded place with no showers and no Wi-Fi. We are taking bear precautions. Buddy is the only ursine welcome in our tent.

BJ and I appreciate all of the comments on this blog. Your encouragement means a lot.

I had 72.433 miles for the day's total on my new bike computer. BJ's total was 72.73. I maintain that mine must be more accurate because it measures to the third decimal place.

Home Sweet Home, Pioneer National Forest Campground

Bike Lane in Newport, Washington



5 comments:

  1. Enjoying your blogs. Glad to hear you are having a great adventure. Ride safe, and enjoy each mile. I wish I were biking with you like ten years ago. BTW, when I biked coast to coast in 93, I traveled the same route across Washington you two did. I recognized the towns.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bike graphic looks to me like a bicycling student wearing a mortar board, who has (unfortunately) been decapitated. Is that bad?

    EK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having a GRREEAATT time! Stay safe - ( but not too safe, otherwise it is not an adventure!) Is here a story behind Buddy?
    Blessings on your trip -
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. locorunner3 (marianne)September 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM

    Love reading blogs! Thanks for keeping everyone updated. Sounds like the trip is going well. Be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Physics 101: Precision and Accuracy are not the same thing.

    ReplyDelete